Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Burning Down the House

For those of you that don't know, when I was in college, I inadvertently caught my parents' house on fire. Needless to say, this is never a good thing. The past two days I have been burning candles on new candler holders to get the perfect drip patterns on the candles that runs down onto the holders. Silly, I know. I have burned through 2 of those red torch lighter things. I have gone through matches. And finally, I have used small pieces of scrap wood! I shouldn't admit this because I used the wood when everyone left the room. As I was working on the candles, I found myself putting my fingers into the melted wax, just as I did as a small child. I guess this obsession carried into my teenage years as well. Some of the wax even ran down the candle holder onto the table. There is just something about the feeling of soft wax underneath your fingernails as you scrape it off the table. Then I found myself putting the dried wax from the table back into the melted wax on the top of the pillar candle watching as it melted again. I didn't want to let any wax go to waste. So frugal or "green" of me not to be wasteful. I even found myself dipping used matches into the wet wax so that they would burn again. Seriously, I may need counseling for my pyro tendencies. I need to purchase some more pillar candles and work on some more tapered candles. Honestly, I enjoy dragging this project out. The joy of playing with fire and melted wax brings a grin to my face. The simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment